The Christmas Mix for 2005 is done, and uploaded to the server for your listening enjoyment. In a certain way, I think I like this mix more than last year’s. The one from last year had a lot of stuff from previous Christmas mixes; it was good, I thought, but pretty easy to throw together.
This year’s wasn’t. Determined to maybe only repeat a handful of tunes from prior years, I had to listen to a lot of Christmas music. Much of it was cringe-ably bad. Some of it was inappropriate. For instance, it was during the sequencing that I thought I caught the use of the word “fucker” in Aimee Mann’s wonderful song, “I Was Thinking I Could Clean Up For Christmas”, and a lyric check proved my hearing to be spot-on. I have a nightmare of someone accidentally playing this mix in their car with their kids or in front of Grandma, and hearing this line way too clearly…so adios, Aimee.
Despite all the bad music I listened to, I’d do it again to find gems like The Green Pajamas’ “Carolers Song”, or Marah’s giddy, silly, drunkenly hilarious “Christmas With The Snow”. That latter song annoyed the crap out of me the first time I heard it…and then I realized I couldn’t get it out of my mind, and then while working busy shifts at work, I found that having that stupid, stupid, silly song going through my brain had the side-effect of dragging me kicking and screaming into a very good mood. I love that song.
So here it is. Bill O’Reilly lovers will have to forgive me, but this is *my* mix, and since it goes into my Christmas Cards, which go out to friends who are of Jewish, Buddhist, and Islamic faiths (as well as Christians and a few agnostics) the songs are pretty secular across the board. Deal with it.
Also, as always, this is one big mp3 file. The songs are all crossfaded, normalized for volume, and sequenced….so if you’re looking to file pirate, you’ll have to grab this music somewhere else, as the intro-outros on each song ruin the file for any purpose but the one it serves here.
Have a great holiday folks, no matter which one you celebrate!
1. Intro from Cicely, AK
2. “Let’s Boogey To The Elf Dance!” –Sufjan Stevens
3. “Frosty The Snowman” –Man Or Astroman
4. “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)” –Death Cab For Cutie
5. “Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!” –Frank Sinatra
6. “Christmas Eve” –Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci
7. “Father Christmas” –The Kinks
8. “The Blunderbuss” –Brad Jones
9. “Christmas Is Coming” –Vince Guaraldi Trio
10. “Fox In The Snow” –Belle & Sebastian
11. “Last Christmas” –Fonda
12. “What Child Is This?” –Rev. Horton Heat
13. “The Christmas Song” –Nat King Cole
14. “The Caroler’s Song” –Green Pajamas
15. “Baby It’s Cold Outside” –Brian Setzer Orchestra with Ann-Margret
16. “Christmas Song” –Joy Zipper
17. “I’ll Be Home For Christmas” –Diana Krall
18. “Christmas With The Snow” –Marah (with guest vocalist Felicia Navidad)
19. “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen” –Los Straitjackets
20. “White Christmas” –Otis Redding
21. “Santa’s Beard” –They Might Be Giants
22. “Bells On” –Sloan
23. “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” –Chris Isaak
24. “Fairytale Of New York” –The Pogues
25. Bill O’Reilly missed this episode of the Honeymooners
Comments are closed.